Campus Police - 812.888.5555
The mission of the Vincennes University Department of Police and Safety is to provide a safe and secure campus for all individuals at VU. To achieve this mission, we will respect and safeguard the dignity and rights of all individuals.
We strive to maintain an environment in which the primary education mission of the University can be realized. The men and women of the Department are professionally trained to provide police, security and parking services for the campus community. Our daily objective is to work in a partnership with the community and provide the highest quality of professional police services.
VU E-Alert Vincennes Campus:
On Dec. 14, 2015 at 7:35 p.m. there was an armed robbery at the Annex Apartments adjacent to the Vincennes Campus. Assailants were 2 black men, 1 black female, and 2 unidentified persons. Two of the males were armed with pistols. Two female victims reported being struck. Assailants fled by vehicle.
If anyone has information about this crime please call the VU Police Department or City of Vincennes Police Department. The City Police Department is investigating.
VU E-Alert Vincennes Campus 11/4/15:
Just before 8:00pm, a male student was skateboarding along Indianapolis Avenue near the Clark Hall crosswalk. A passing car traveling west on Indianapolis slowed down as a rear passenger described by witnesses as an African-American male wearing a plain black t-shirt lowered the window and used a high-powered pellet gun to shoot at the student. The vehicle is described as an early 2000 model black or blue Chevy Impala or Malibu with tinted windows. The current location of the vehicle is unknown.
The student was injured and transported to Good Samaritan Hospital for treatment. The incident is under investigation by the Vincennes University Police Department. Anyone with information is encouraged to contact VUPD at 812-888-5555.
Reporting a Crime
Potential criminal activity and other emergencies on campus can be reported by any student, faculty, or staff member. Contacting Campus Police:
- From the Vincennes campus: Dial 5555
- From off-campus: 812-888-5555
University Police Officers are in constant radio contact with Central Dispatch (E-911) and the Vincennes City Police.
Request Event Security
Our goal is to provide exceptional security services with professionalism, compassion, and dignity, while dedicated to excellent customer service and a safe and secure campus.
The Vincennes University Police Department provides police and security services for special events such as concerts, dignitary visits, commencement, holiday celebrations, student and department social events, athletics and many other miscellaneous event.
A tremendous amount of personnel hours are used to cover these assignments. Police officers or Campus Safety Officers assigned to work an event are given specific instruction on the management of that event.
To request event security or special services please submit a REQUEST FOR SERVICE form.
The following guidelines are offered when requesting the university police department’s presence at an event.
- Requests for service should be submitted no less than 2 weeks prior to your event date in order to allow for sufficient planning. If your request is made with less than 2 weeks’ notice, there will be no guarantee that an officer(s) will be available for your event. The request for service form can be found below. Please fill out and mail to the university police “attn. Robert Dunham.”
- A minimum of 24 hours’ notice is required for cancellation of the request for police services.
- You may request a specific number of officers needed for your event, but the University Police Department will be responsible for assessing the proper number of officers needed based on factors such as crowd size, type of event, location, etc.