Getting Started - Veterans Support Services

Getting Started

Getting Started with Your Benefits

In order to receive your benefits, please contact our office. We will collect information based on your service so we can report your enrollment to the US Department of Veterans Affairs. You can call Veterans Support Services at (812) 888-5421 or email Kristen Phillips at Following the steps below will ensure that you get the maximum amount of aid for funding your education.


  1. Apply for admission to Vincennes University.
    You can apply online here. The online application can be used for all sites including the Aviation Technology Center in Indianapolis, Distance Education, the Indiana School for the Deaf, the Jasper Campus, and the Vincennes Campus.
    Military students interested in completing course work on military installations should contact their local representatives to apply and register for site based instruction. Find your MEP location.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, is a form that determines your eligibility for low- or no-interest student loans as well as grants at the federal and state level. Completing this form will ensure you receive the maximum financial aid, even if you plan on using veterans education benefits. To qualify for State of Indiana grants, residents of Indiana need to file the FAFSA annually no later than March 10 with edits made by May 15th. Visit the FAFSA Website to fill out and submit the application.
  3. Apply for Veterans Education Benefits
    In order to receive your VA Education benefits you will need to apply so that the VA can determine your eligibility. You can apply online at One this site you can apply for a new benefit or change your benefit from your previous institution to VU.

    If you are the child of an Indiana veteran with any level disability rating, you may be eligible for the Indiana Remission of Fees for the Child of a Disabled Veteran. The state also offers a fee remission for Indiana veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart. Applications for both of these programs are available on our webite here.

    After the application form is approved by the Indiana DVA, it should be forwarded to:
    Vincennes University
    Financial Aid Office
    1002 N 1st Street, WAB-1
    Vincennes, IN 47591
  4. Submit Military Transcripts or DD214
    Your military training may equate to academic credit at Vincennes University. Please have them sent to the Vincennes, Indiana location in order to speed up the evaluation process. If you have questions about your military transcript please contact Chris Skinner at In order to request a copy of you military transcript use one of the following links:
    Army, Navy, Marine Transcript (Joint Services Transcript)
    Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request Forms (CCAF)
  5. Apply for Campus Housing
    If you would like to live on campus, it’s best to apply for student housing with Housing and Residential Life as early as possible. For more information contact Housing and Residential Life at (812) 888-4225 or
  6. Attend Start VU
    By attending new student orientation, you can learn about student organizations and popular activities around campus. You will also have the opportunity to meet with your academic advisor who will help you plan your first semester and academic career. You can register for Start VU online. For more information contact the Admissions Office at (800) 742-9198 or
  7. Visit Veterans Support Services
    We love to meet Veteran students and dependents. Feel free to stop by Veterans Support Services, we are here to help! Or, feel free to contact Kristen Phillips at (812) 888-5421 or

Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at

Important Forms

Tips for New College Veterans
A printable verson of our New College Veterans Checklist. Use this list to complete the steps necessary to use your VA Education Benefits at Vincennes University.

VA Education Benefits Student Agreement
Here you can complete the necessary paperwork to be certified for you benefits. Each student will need to sign a VA Education Benefits Student Agreement before being certified. This outlines important information you need to know regarding your education benefits and only has to been filled out once. Please maintain a copy for your records and we will be sure to keep a copy in your student folder in VSS.

Permission to Release Student Information
Each student will need to complete a Permission to Release Student Information form if you want a parent, spouse, third party to be able to discuss your student account. VSS will not discuss student account information with your parents/spouse without your written consent. This a completely voluntary. If you do not wish for anyone to be able to discuss your student account with VSS, you do not need to complete this form.

Request for Certification
You will also need to complete a Request for Certification form each semester in order for VSS to report your enrollment information to the VA. We cannot report your enrollment information to the VA without your signature on the form



I’ve applied for benefits. What now?
Once you’ve applied for benefits, the VA will process your claim and send you a Certificate of Eligibility outlining the benefits available to you. Send a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to our office either by mail, fax, or email. Once you have registered for classes, you will need to sign a Student Benefits Agreement and complete a Request for Certification Form in order to be certified. 

Do I have to reapply for benefits each semester?
No, you don’t need to reapply for your benefits each semester. You just need to complete a Request for Certification Form once you register for a new semester so your classes can be certified and your benefit payments processed. You should also notify VSS when you add a new class after your initial registration, withdrawal from a class, or change your major so those changes can sent to the VA.

How can I get a new copy of my Certificate of Eligibility?
You can get a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility through your eBenefits account or by requesting a new coppy from the VA through their Submit a Question page.